Hi... The device is configured and I type cat xxx > /dev/sound/dsp1
and I got an strange sound, but this prove that the device was
recognized by the kernel. I also can control volume of the second
audio device through alsamixer. The question is: how can I specify (on
alsa) that the default device is /dev/sound/dsp1 or something like
that?
  I tried to do what you said on Amarok, but the "Alsa Device
Configuration" section is disabled, why?

[]s
Leandro.

2006/10/31, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 10/30/06, Leandro Melo de Sales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi list...
>
>    I have an usb sound system from Gradiente company (an eletronic
> device factory) and I plugged it on my system. dmesg command shows
> this:
>
>     input: Gradiente AS-M5X0 as /class/input/input3
>     input: USB HID v1.00 Device [Gradiente AS-M5X0] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1
>
>    But when I play a mp3 media the sound is not forwarded to my usb
> device, instand, the sound is still played through my integrated
> laptop device.
>    On windows I use it without problem. So, what do I have to do to
> forward the sound to my usb device?

Probably windows is disabling any existing sound card or at least
making the USB the "default" sound device.  Unfortunately there is no
equivalent with alsa currently.

So assuming that you've got the alsa drivers loaded for this device
(/proc/asound/cards should contain two entries), you can usually
specify alsa device as "hw1,0".  The exact method for doing this
depends on what app you are using.  For example on amarok with the
xine it is under Configure Amarok... -> Engine -> ALSA Device
Configuration.  If you enter hw1,0 for Stereo there, then 2 channel
audio should be played on the first pcm of the second sound card.

You should also be able to do this with a .asoundrc file, with an entry like:

pcm.default {
        type hw
        card 1
        device 1
}

The above is really primitive, without any dmix plugin (software
mixing), so only one app could use the device at a time unless it does
hardware mixing.  Mostly this is just to give you an idea of where to
look! ;-)

-Richard