Dnia wtorek, 31 października 2006 11:14, Arnau Bria napisał:

> > I am sorry for such a newbie question but I really wane start
> > learning more about linux and use gentoo on my desktop computer.
> >
> > Now I've burned both pcc and pcc64 to two cd's but when rebooting it
> > just boots back into my old system which were Mandriva 2006 with Lilo

> Try ia64.

Yes, if those 2 CPUs Kyle mentioned are Itanium processors - I doubt. I guess
these are EM64T processors in which case the correct setting is somewhat
misleading AMD64 .

In case of EM64T, the system setting can be built upon this setting
(in /etc/make.conf):

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

The NOCONA setting is crucial, as Intel is slightly different from AMD.

Also, look at your /proc/cpuinfo , flags section. Than set appropriate USE
flags according to this table:

CPU flag   | set this
 present   | USE flag
-----------+---------
mmx        | mmx
sse        | sse
sse2       | sse2
pni        | sse3 *
mmxext     | mmxext
3dnowext **| 3dnowext
3dnow    **| 3dnow

*  No ebuild seems to use sse3 flag (yet)
** Well, 3dnow is for AMD/AMD64, put here just for reference

See also at http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags .

--
 Pawel Kraszewski
 www.kraszewscy.net