"James Ausmus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Rephrasing the question:  Will it work to mount a hosts (gentoo host)
>> native onboard drives as cifs mounts only.  These drives would all be
>> formatted NTFS
>
> In short - no.
>
> Samba/CIFS are *network* filesystems - you can't "format a partition
> with a Samba or CIFS filesystem", and you can't mount a local drive as
> Samba or CIFS - it is not a physical filesystem, but a protocol to
> access a share *over a network*.
>
> All you need to do is format these drives with the filesystem of your
> choice (I personally like ReiserFS, I've heard some people say that

OK, I seem to have been tying myself in unnecessary knots (not an
unknown state for me).

I seem to recall somewhere having seen something that made me think
there was some problem inherent in moving large files from one of the
linux formats (I use Reiserfs on all but /boot and have for a good
while) onto NTFS or vice versa.

I wasn't sure it would be as transparent as you say.  Is this just a
myth I've picked up somewhere?  I guess it would not be that hard to
test out.

I'm thinking to test a format conversion from CanopusDV.avi to mpeg2
streams like one uses for DVD authoring, putting the source *.avi of
some 15gb on my gentoo box on an reiserfs partition.  Then from the
windows XP where the conversion application resides find the source
file and give the destination of the mpeg files onto one of the NTFS
partitions on the win box.

Time that run then do it with two windows XP boxes with source on one
and conversion tools on the other.  time that run and compare.

Not scientific for sure but should give some fairly good comparison.

All boxes have gigabit interconnectivity.

If its not to far apart I'll say I was hoodwinked about there being a
problem.