Hello,

I have Gentoo running on a Toshiba Satellite M70 SR6.  I am using
ati-drivers to drive the Radeon Mobility X700 PCIE card, with this
xorg.conf (xorg 7.1.1):

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Touchpad" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "SendCoreEvents"
        Option  "BlankTime"  "5"  # Blank the screen after 5 minutes (Fake)
        Option  "StandbyTime"  "10"  # Turn off screen after 10 minutes (DPMS)
        Option  "SuspendTime"  "20"  # Full suspend after 20 minutes
        Option  "OffTime"  "30"  # Turn off after half an hour
EndSection

< -- snipped to save space -- >

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
#               Modes "1280x800"
                Modes    "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

When I boot up without an external monitor or projector connected
I get 1280 x 800 dimensions on the lcd.

Why is this, given that I specify 1280x1024 in the "screen" section above?

When an external monitor or projector is connected I get 1280 x 1024
dimensions on both lcd and monitor/projector.  Unfortunately, because
the real dimensions (in mm) of the (wide-screen) lcd and a standard
monitor are different, windows sized for the lcd are wrongly sized for
the monitor, and vice versa.

Is there any way to have 1280x800 on the lcd and (simultaneously) 1280
x 1024 on the external monitor/projector?

Thanks,

Roger Mason