On 11/27/06, Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Even worse is that udev seems to discover the sound cards in the reverse
order to coldplug.  My Audigy card becomes /dev/dsp1 and the Intel card
is /dev/dsp0.   Unfortunately,  Audacious, my music player of choice,
doesn't seem to offer any choice of which dsp to use.

A couple of notes:

1. any application using /dev/dsp* is _not_ using alsa.  It is using
the legacy oss emulation mode of alsa.  Real alsa device names are
things like "hw:0,0", or virtual device names like "default".

2. The only way to set the card order is to load the drivers in the
desired order.  udev unfortunately has no control over which card
becomes "hw:0" vs "hw:1".

3. You can prevent udev from coldplugging drivers automatically by
aliasing the PCI ID of the hardware to "off".

For example, my ipw3945 wireless card will not work when coldplugged
by udev, so I have the following in /etc/modules.d/ipw3945:

alias pci:v00008086d00004222sv*sd*bc*sc*i* off
alias pci:v00008086d00004227sv*sd*bc*sc*i* off

This inhibits udev from loading the ipw3945 module when it scans the
PCI bus (ok, technically the pci device entries in /sys).

If you do something similar, adding alias entries to
/etc/modules.d/alsa, you should be able to have the modules loaded in
the correct order when the alsasound script runs.

You can get the list of pci aliases for a module with:

grep <module_name> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.alias

Remember to run modules-update after making changes in /etc/modules.d/
for the changes to take effect.

HTH,
-Richard