On Sunday 26 November 2006 13:33, Fabrice Delliaux wrote:
> Le Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:41:56 +0100,
>
> Harm Geerts a écrit :
> > This only forces portage to retrieve *all* of portage's metadata from
> > the server *again*.
>
> Yes.
>
> > If the corruption is local, a normal rsync will fix this.
>
> Not necessarily. See bug #145482.
> Synchronization again and again (on several days) didn't resolve this.
> I removed the entire cache, as suggested, and it magically worked.
> And I discovered later that the filesystem was corrupted.
>
> > If the corruption is on the upstream rsync mirror, you will retrieve
> > the same corrupt metadata again.
>
> I've never seen that case.
>
> > removing the metadata from the portage tree only results in more data
> > transfers from the rsync mirror.
>
> Yes, but obviously, you must not do it every day.
>
> @Mick : I suggest that you run a fsck on your filesystem.

Thanks.  I did run fsck and everything seems fine.  However, although
emerge --metadata worked, the following emerge --sync failed with the same
old error.

So, this time I did emerge --regen and when it finished the emerge --sync
worked without any more problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
--
Regards,