On Saturday 02 December 2006 05:28, Colleen Beamer wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to Firefox 2.0.  Since then, when I
> did an upgrade, I got notified that the emerge wanted to downgrade
> Firefox.  This was to be expected.

Not if you configured portage right..

> I put the line '<www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0' (without the quotes, of
> course), in my /etc/portage/package.mask file.  Well, that solved the
> problem of wanting to downgrade Firefox.

You shouldn't. You should instead use `emerge --pretend --tree` to find out
why it wants to downgrade it. Or did you use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command
line to install rather than properly add the keywords
in /etc/portage/package.keywords?

> I did the same with MySQL
> because I didn't want to upgrade that either.

Masking is fine to avoid upgrades.

> However, after this, when I ran emerge -uDp world, the emerge wanted to
> install seamonkey.  I don't understand why.

Did you set the firefox use flag?

> Any ideas?  BTW, if I mask seamonkey, then I get errors regarding any
> version of Firefox when I try to do an update.

Yes, you obviously did something wrong. :) Hopefully the above adresses
everything..

--
Bo Andresen