Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 14:13:01 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

An alternative is 'nohup' - if you know that you are gonna run a long task and wish to be able to shutdown your terminal window. e.g:

$ nohup emerge kdelibs
$ exit

Shouldn't that be "nohup emerge kdelibs &"?

I've not use nohup for a few years, not since I discovered screen, but
ISTR you need to run in in the background.

Yeah - good point, the & is in theory optional, but it makes sense to use it, since all output is redirected to nohup.out and your terminal session is tied up!

However, if the & is forgotten, you can just do the usual to background the task:

^Z
$ bg

cheers

Mark