Good explanation Alan, thanks! :)

2006/12/6, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Wednesday 06 December 2006 00:03, Leandro Melo de Sales wrote:
> Can you please tell me the propose of screen?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Leandro

screen does many functions, but the most useful is probably being able
to disconnect and reconnect sessions. Here's a very simple explanation:

Imagine you have a session running in an xterm or on a vc. It's running
bash, and the output displays on the terminal. Normally, there is no
way you can log out, leave programs running in the background and come
back later to find everything just how you left it. There is nohup, but
what that puts the job in the background and it stays there - you can't
get it back onto a terminal and have to let it run, then look inside
nohup.out to see the result.

We use screen extensively here, I often start a bash session on the work
server, then log out and go home. From home I log back into the server,
reconnect screen and my full session is there just as I left it.

Behind the scenes, programs normally run attached to bash, which is
attached to a terminal and that's the way it stays. With screen,
programs are launched from bash, which is attached to a screen process.
The magic is that you can attached that screen process to whatever
terminal you like, and disconnect and reconnect them at will.

alan