Richard Fish wrote:
On 12/6/06, Steve Brenneis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I had this under a title related to nVidia drivers, but I have
determined that my KDM problems probably aren't related to that.

After upgrading to KDE 3.5.5, I can no longer start KDE from KDM.
Kdesktop crashes and leaves no trail. I rebuilt kdestop with the debug
USE flag, but I have no idea where to look for debugging information.

I can start KDE from a regular terminal session using startx.

Any ideas?

There are two possible locations to look at for error messages.
Errors before the session starts should show up in /var/log/kdm.log.
Errors from the session itself should be in ~/.xsession-errors.

-Richard
Thanks,

I get this in .xsession-errors when I try to start from KDM:

xset:  bad font path element (#281), possible causes are:
   Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
   Directory missing fonts.dir
   Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset:  bad font path element (#281), possible causes are:
   Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
   Directory missing fonts.dir
   Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset:  bad font path element (#281), possible causes are:
   Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
   Directory missing fonts.dir
   Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
Could not open library kwin.la: /usr/kde/3.5/lib/libkdeinit_kwin.so: undefined symbol: _ZN12NETRootInfo4C2EP9_XDisplaymPKcPmiib

I have re-emerged kwin and kdm. This error does not occur if I startx from a terminal session, and if I unset $DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/conf.d/xdm and set XSESSION="kde-3.5" in /etc/rc.conf, KDE starts fine with no errors.

I'm stuck.