Norberto Bensa wrote:
Dave Oxley wrote:
I have a Dell server that runs Gentoo. I have been running kernel
2.6.18-r3 with the third party arcmsr add on driver without any
problems. I have tried to upgrade to 2.6.19-r1 with the kernels inbuild

2.6.19 sucks.

Not only it moved CONFIG_SATA_* to CONFIG_ATA_* but also my /dev/sda is now /dev/sdb!!!! And, when ata_piix loads, there's a delay of 20 seconds at least.

After changing every /sda to /sdb in /etc/fstab, I booted the box. dmesg is full of timeouts coming from sda, which seems to be my DVD+RW drive (which on 2.6.18 is on hda)

Someone messed SATA (ICH at least) very badly with 2.6.19.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards,
Norberto

Thanks. This solved my problem. My raid controller is now /dev/sda/. It used to be /dev/sdc. And my 2 onboard disks are /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc!

Cheers,
Dave.