On Monday 18 December 2006 21:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    The commands are unclear to me in the sense that I may need to
> rebuild the kernel, or not, after running them. I cannot tell. Any
> idea?

Well, before running make oldconfig, you should copy the .config file from the
kernel you used just before this one (2.6.16-gentoo-r12 possibly?)
to /usr/src/linux.  make oldconfig will then create a new .config based on
your previous settings for the new kernel.  I don't know what make prepare
does... someone else want to pick that one up?