Mark Knecht wrote:
> if binary packages were built and stored in some reasonable
> location then I could probably prune out things that I'm not
> worried about,

But then, one day, you'll see that you've pruned something you
shouldn't have, something that one of the things you did keep needs
as a dependency.  Better keep everything.  Disks are gigantic these
days, surely you can spare a gigabyte or two for binary packages.

>    I wonder if -b could be put in one of the
> /etc/portage/package.XXX files

Better go with the FEATURES=buildpkg that Bo pointed out, that is
the mechanism that emerge provides for this situation.  Myself, I
don't use buildpkg nor default option -b, I simply keep a second
partition around with a Gentoo system in a working state.  If ever
the primary gets messed up, I can reboot into the second one and
use that until I have the first repaired.

Benno