Sometime in the past week or two, doing and emerge sync/update
appears to have changed the default charset from iso-8859 to
UTF8.  There are still too many apps I use everyday that don't
support UTF8, so this was a problem.

Creating /etc/env.d/02locale and running env-update fixed the
problem, but I'm curious how/when the default changed.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  QUIET!! I'm being
                                  at               CREATIVE!! Is it GREAT