On Sunday 24 December 2006 08:42, PaulNM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These type of messages:
>
> [17180157.020000] hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> Error }
> [17180157.020000] hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
> LBAsect=5, high=0, low=5, sector=0
> [17180157.020000] ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> [17180157.020000] end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 0
>

> are very bad signs.  Nine times out of ten it means the drive is dead,
> or nearly so.  The few times it's not a dead/dying drive, is usually due
> to dma not being supported, or a bad cable. Given that dd is not
> working, and nothing seems able to actually write to the drive, I'm
> leaning towards a dead drive.
>
>       As a last ditch attempt, you could try reseating the power and ide
> cable on the drive, as well as the motherboard end of the ide cable. If
> you have another system laying around, you could put the problem drive
> in there to confirm it is a drive problem.

I agree that in all likelihood your HD is toast.  However, before you start
searching on Ebay you would better follow the above advice to reseat cables
and, or sockets.  I used to have an IBM laptop with a problematic floppy
drive that needed reseating in its socket every now and then to cure its boot
problems.

--
Regards,
Mick