On Sunday 24 December 2006 23:04, "Mike Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] OT, but short':
> On 12/23/06, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Is anyone out there using Residential SBC/Yahoo DSL with dynamic DNS?
> > I want to know if the ISP blocks incoming requests to your servers if
> > you're not paying them the rate for a static IP...
> I'm using Residential SBC/Yahoo DSL and DynDNS and they don't block
> anything inbound.  I guess since they're blocking Joe's traffic, it's
> sort of a hit or miss with SBC or Yahoo or AT&T or whoever it is now.

When I was on them, they blocked SMTP inbound and maybe (poor memory) 80
inbound.  It's possible to run these services on other ports, but no
guarantees that they won't use Layer 5-7 filtering to limit them.

If you want to hast a reliable server, you have to get commercial-grade
internet access and/or SDSL.  FWIW, SDSL seems to provide the upstream
requirements of a low-end service, and it not that expensive, *if* you can
produce some income/donations for the service.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest