On 12/24/06, Mike Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Please tell me there's some solution to this?  I haven't seen one mentioned
anywhere yet.  Even with Gentoo's occasional problems, I like it too much to
use any other distro but I'd definitely like to see better version
management than what its got, which is none.

The ideal solution to this would be released tree versions...so you
could use the 2006.1 tree instead of the live development tree.  Note
that profiles wouldn't help much here, as then the profile would have
to contain a list of all the possible packages that can be installed
with the relevant versions.  And it creates a lot of complications for
package removals, additions, etc.  But to have a snapshot of the tree
to which only security or other minor fixes would be applied would be
ideal for the problem you describe.

The usual argument against this is that most devs prefer working on
the live tree.  Having to maintain a released tree and backport fixes
to it would take time away from things they would rather be doing
(like working on new cool stuff).  The fear is that the released trees
could have serious security holes in them that might never get fixed.

But in fact this has been discussed many times among devs.  For the
most recent discussion, search the gentoo-dev mail list archives for
"Versioning the tree" (and ignore the flames).  I haven't reviewed the
discussion, but as I recall a couple of devs may be working on making
this a reality, possibly for the 2007.X releases.

-Richard