On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:51:22 -0600
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

...[snip]...

> Good, however you should not really need to use ansi-mode.
> I do not, and don't have the trouble you mentioned.
>
> In normal shell-mode (M-x shell) I do see the escape sequences you
> mention but not in eshell (M-x eshell).
>
> I think, if you post on gmane.emacs.help with what you are
> experiencing someone will be able to help you identify, what in your
> OS setup is causing the problem.
>
> I did notice one thread where the user ended up discovering somekind
> of alias to ls that was causing his problem.
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/39496/focus=39505
>
> Typing `alias' in an xterm might reveal something.  Here I see:
>       alias ls='ls --color=auto'
> as the only reference to ls.
>
> Posting there with your exact problem would probably be best.

I generally have ls aliased to 'ls --color=none' and that works
fine.  In my post I used ls as a simple example of a program
that can/does use escape sequences.

Other programs that use escape sequences are emerge and runscript
(used in starting services).  Alias 'emerge --color'
suppresses ansi color sequences for direct invocations of emerge
(because the alias is used for that).

I also use 'eix-sync' which runs emerge.  In _this_ instance, ansi
escape sequences are _not_ suppressed and I do find them annoying.

Now that I'm home from work, I have the time to experiment :->