There's also a "dvd" flag that may need to be turned on... This is my
totem verbose compile:

$ emerge -pv totem

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/totem-2.16.4  USE="dbus dvd gnome hal mad
mpeg ogg vorbis xine xv -a52 -debug -ffmpeg -firefox -flac -lirc
-nsplugin -nvtv -theora" 0 kB

HTH (but I feel like I'm hopefully going over the obvious)...

...Ric

On 01/01/07, doug asherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Alan wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 08:03:12PM -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
>> Howdy all, I'm trying to get Totem to play DVD's, but it tells me that I
>> don't have the appropriate plugin to handle DVDs.  Anybody seen this
>> before and know how to handle it?
>
> Did you compile with the dvd and xine use flags?  I believe that xine is
> needed for DVD menus.

I'm not the original poster, but...

According to a note at the end of an "emerge totem", if you use the xine
backend, you get DVD menus. Just for kicks, I unmerged totem and
re-emerged it with the xine keyword. Still no DVD menus.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but perhaps this will help point the
way towards what the problem is.

In the meantime, may I suggest using xine to play DVDs? It's the best
I've used (haven't used Ogle or Mplayer to play DVDs, though).

Doug

Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)
==> Do you, uh... Gentoo? Gentoooo-hooo!! <==
==> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml <==