On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:21:02 -0500 (EST), Daniel Barkalow wrote:

> The issue is that etc-update doesn't have the version of the config
> file as installed by the version of the package that's being replaced,
> so it can't tell the difference between non-trivial changes to the
> config file as shipped by gentoo between the old version and the new
> version and non-trivial local modifications that I've made myself to a
> config file which has not been changed between package versions. I've
> definitely had etc-update ask for confirmation on files I'm sure I
> didn't change

I haven't use etc-update for a while, but dispatch-conf can do this.

# Automerge files that the user hasn't modified
# (yes or no)
replace-unmodified=no

Whether this is a good idea is a completely separate issue. If a service
had a config file change between versions and the file was updated to the
new format while the old daemon was still running, the results could be
"interesting".

--
Neil Bothwick

Found my .sig, it was in behind the cushion on the settee.