sean wrote:
Uwe Thiem wrote:
On 05 January 2007 15:47, sean wrote:
I am reading over the info on distcc so that I might be able to setup an
older P4 1.3 Ghz system to have help compiling from my dual Opteron
(amd64 mode).

I only want the Opteron to help the P4, not the other way around, the
Opteron does not need the help.

Is that configurable as such?

I do something similar with a group of 2+ ghz p4s doing all the compiling for
a 150 mhz p3.

Yes, but you need to set up a cross-compiler on the Opteron. Or can the 64bit compiler generate 32bit code? Not too sure here.

Uwe

I just read a short time ago about the cross compiler.
From my reading it only needs to be installed on the machine starting the process and using resources of another.

Since I want the P4 to use the Opteron then the P4 needs the cross compiler in place.

I think this is backwards. The cross compiler should be on the Opteron box, since distcc is asking
the Opteron box to produce 32 bit code for the P4 box.

John Blinka