I would think a quick fix (by no means a FULL fix) would be to re-emerge
sys-apps/baselayout.  That should at least get your init scrips, and important
configs back to the right permissions.  I've never actually tried that however,
so take it with a grain of salt.

I would agree with most people on the list tho.  Maybe its time for a machine
upgrade and just re-emerge everything.  Either way tho, I'm betting its going
to take a lot of legwork to get things back to the way they were before hand.

Also maybe its time to chroot your customers to keep them from screwing things
up again :)