On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:29:52 -0600
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> if you want to take advantage of
> gigabit speeds (or more than a dozen 100mbit ports) you'll definitely
> want a dedicated solution -- the PCI bus just can't keep up.  Maybe
> there's a solution in PCIe or PCI-X, since they do increase
> bandwidth, but I've yet to see a standard PC configured to handle
> that much bandwidth.

If you have the router between LAN segments at gigabit speeds, and need
to route more than 132MB/S worth of data transfer, sure, the PCI bus
 isn't fast enough.  Why you'd need a router anywhere between
computers that need to swap this much information is byond me, but your
point is i guess sound. good luck finding a PC with 10 pci slots so
that you can achieve gigabit speeds on 100-tx hardware ;)