HDTV is 1280x720 or 1920x1080, either progressive (eg 720p or 1080p) or
interlaced (1080i)
If his HDTV only does 1280x720 (very possible, most 32in panels I saw
when I worked for an electronics store up until this summer were usually
something like 1366x768 native res or such) then it is very possible his
20in LCD supports a higher resolution, like 1680x1050 (widescreen) or
1600x1200 (4:3). Then again, I live in the UK.

> I don't know much about HDMI - is it just analog video (ie. component)
> with HD capability and DRM?
>
> If so, you may want to look for some TV settings in your
> xorg.conf like
> overscan.  I've found that depending on the card / tv combo I'm using,
> the picture can be too big, too small, too far to the left, etc.

HDMI is essentially DVI + 5.1 Surround sound + DRM. It's a digital
connection, not analogue. Component connections (Pb/Pr/Y) are analogue
HD connections.

> HTH,
> --
> Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
>
> Conquest is easy. Control is not.
>               -- Kirk, "Mirror, Mirror", stardate unknown

David "Part-time jobs may be useful one day" Nelson :)
Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of
success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this
list.