On 2007-01-10, Mark Kirkwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Anyway, have had nothing but problems trying to get this thing
>> working. Found many bugs listed against the ati-drivers, and
>> not having much more success using the open source drivers
>> also listed in the Gentoo ATI faq.

The ati-drivers have always worked fine for me (until ATI
discontinued support for the 92xx boards).  The Xorg radeon
drivers have always worked flawlessly for 2D.

> Did you try the Xorg "radeon" driver? (think its part of
> xf86-video-ati).

The radeon driver has always worked fine for 2D.  Xorg/radeon's
DRI has always been a little flakey for me with a 9250.  Some
versions worked mostly (only a few rendering glitches), some
versions seg-faulted anytime DRI was used.  For me, the
ati-drivers package has always proved a lot more stable for
DRI.

> You want to unmerge ati-drivers if they have proved unstable
> (no surprise there...)
>
> I'm very interested as I've been using a 9550 with HW accel
> enabled + Xorg (6.9) with the radeon driver in FreeBSD 6
> without any problems at all.
>
> This encourages me to think they should work in Gentoo as
> well...(crosses fingers) as I'm in the process of building my
> mother a machine running Gentoo and have one of these (a 9200)
> lying around and am intending to use it....

Versions of ati-drivers newer than 8.28 won't support the 9200,
and 8.28 won't build on recent kernels without patches.  Most
other distros have patched versions of 8.28 available for
current kernels, but Gentoo doesn't.  I've got a "fixed"
ati-drivers-8.28 ebuild that will work with kernels up through
2.6.18.

How does one make an e-build available to the world?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. If I had heart
                                  at               failure right now,