[EMAIL PROTECTED] ha scritto:
I am wanting to rip all of my dvd's onto an external drive
> but whenever i mount my dvd drive (hdc) it shows it as a dvd.
> However when i open the folder there are no folders displayed as if it > is a blank disk yet kaffine
> will still allow me to play the dvd. Has anyone encountered this

I assume you're "mounting" it by clicking it with Konqueror in KDE (I dunno if nautilus on gnome has the same behaviour).

In this case, you are not truly mounting it. HAL/KDE kioslaves guess the kind of media you have inserted and try to behave as sensible as possible.

Sometimes with good results (for example when 'mounting' an audio-cd -btw, an audio-cd is never properly mounted- you have virtual folders with mp3, FLACs, etc. that allow you to rip a CD by simple copy-and-paste).Sometimes not.

> I would like to have just a backup of all my movies on an external hard drive as i tend to lose dvd's quite a bit.
If anyone could offer some help it would be greatly appreciated.

I know of two options:
a) mount the dvd by hand using 'mount' in a shell
b) emerge dvdrip, a truly good DVD backupping + ripping GUI tool, easy to use yet full of options.

m.