On 1/14/07, Devon Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/12/07, Roberto Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:24:57 -0600, William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 06:34 -0600, Roberto Martinez wrote:
> > this sort of thing is often due to inconsistent/missing libraries
> >
> > 1. run revdep-rebuild
> > 2. `ldd /usr/bin/firefox` and look for inconsistent/missing libraries
> > 3. `strace /usr/bin/firefox` and see if where it dies gives a clue
> >
> > BillK
> >

> revdep-rebuild came up with some libraries, but I think I might have an
> issue with Portage as I've noticed that /etc/portage does not point
> anywhere... Any ideas where its supposed to symlink ? #gentoo is not very
> helpful ( at least the peers )

/etc/portage should be a directory, not a symlink. This is where you
create package.keywords to enable ~ARCH builds, package.unmask to
enable explicitly masked packages, package.use to set per-package USE
flags, etc.

The symlink you're thinking of is /etc/make.profile and it should
point to something like
/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop.

> Calculating dependencies \
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=app-office/openoffice-bin-2.0.2".

As a general rule, I always run revdep-rebuild with -p and ignore any
gripes about openoffice-bin. Openoffice-bin comes with a lot of
private libraries the supercede those in /usr/lib and reddep-rebuild
doesn't know how to resolve those correctly.

There's no ebuild for openoffice-bin-2.0.2 because that release is no
longer in portage. Running emerge -u openoffice-bin will upgrade you
to 2.1.0 which is currently the only open office binary release in
portage.

Running ldd on /usr/bin/firefox won't give any useful information
since that is just a script that runs mozilla-launcher with the real
binary. Instead, run ldd on /usr/lib/mozilla-firefor/firefox-bin which
is the actual binary. You should not get any 'not found' messages. If
anything is 'not found' then you need to move on to which package
needs to be rebuilt.

dcm

dcm