On 1/27/07, Enrico Weigelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an cost effective video camera with (almost)
TV quality for recording directly to an gentoo box.
May also be an digicam w/ video recording capability.

Which device would you suggest ?

thx
I got a cheap  Logitech QuickCam EC, which works pretty well with the
GSPCA (media-video/gspcav1) drivers. My only qualms with that camera
is it has a very high grain, dead pixels ( yes. .. dead pixels.. ) and
it behaves poorly in bad lighting, and whites out in sunlight, and has
limited colour control. ( and it makes everything yellow ).

So for your digicam solution, I would not reccomend that unless you
dont mind something cheap and nasty. IF you want to record from any
linux capable video camera/digicam, mencoder and transcode should both
be able to record from it as a V4L device. :)

-- Kent