Patrick Holthaus wrote:

KeyError: 'net-wireless/ipw3945d-1.7.22-r4'

And nothing has been merged. ANY help on this would be appreciated, as i am using my laptop quite often and wireless is a must have for me. I also started a thread in the gentoo forums where more information about my system and tries i have made to compensate the file system errors can be found. You may want to have a look at it here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-535125-highlight-.html

I notice in the forum you say you had a hard drive crash. The first thing to do is check the status of the drive itself (smartmontools or similar), and if it is ok, then poke around in dmesg and /var/log/messsages for ext3 filesystem problems.

regards

Mark

P.s : is it hard drive crash month or something?