The problem was fixed by removing the BusID line from xorg.conf.
Apparently it was wrong.

On 2/19/07, Issac Trotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This is with nvidia-drivers 1.0.8776 and also nvidia-legacy-drivers,
as well as version 1.0.9746 of nvidia-drivers.  I type startx and the
screen goes mostly white, with a band of black at the top with what
might be a white underline cursor at the top left.  Sometimes there is
a bunch of pixel garbage instead of the large white area.

Attached are my xorg.conf, X11 log file, and the output from
nvidia-bug-report.sh.

The kernel module is in place:

$ lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia               4226100  8
agpgart                19092  1 nvidia
i2c_core               11872  1 nvidia

I'm recompiling xorg-server now with USE=debug to get an informative backtrace.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.