Neil Bothwick wrote:
It does make the question invalid if it provides insufficient information
to permit a helpful answer.
Not at all. It just means that the question needs expansion.

 After all, the whole point of posting the
question is to get the answer.

Very often, the questioner lacks the experience and knowledge to frame a question that you would deem valid.

It's a very sad fact that Linux users generally have an appalling reputation for arrogance and a lack of helpfulness. :( I frequently see examples of this such as "Google is your friend" when the OP states that he can't get his Internet connection to work! :( The standard complaint about Linux users is that "RTFM" is the typical reply to a question. As it happens, I have never,ever asked a question here or anywhere else about Linux, Gentoo, whatever - I always find my own answers one way or another. However, not everyone has the time, skill or patience to do that.

I'm glad to say that, generally speaking, Gentoo users do not sink quite that low - but we are heading that way. :( We need to take stock of what "community" really means and try to show a little more patience towards people who have just entered our community rather than alienating them.

Just my thoughts, anyway. ;)

Be lucky,

Neil (another one) ;)