On Monday 26 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go
> with gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
>
> I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of installing
> grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my machine hangs
> displaying the following meassage:
>    Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time

You are installing grub to an IDE device. Is that how you normally
address that device? It might be a SATA drive

What is the contents of your device.map file? I've seen that cause grub
to search endlessly for a device that isn't there

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,
Pessimists say the glass is half empty,