On Wednesday 28 Feb 2007, Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2007 06:54, Mick wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 February 2007 00:14, Jesús Guerrero wrote:

> > > Alternatively you can just use the script "/usr/bin/play", included in
> > > the sox package.
> >
> > Cool! I seem to have missed this in man sox.  It plays system sounds now
> > nicely.
>
> Blast! I spoke too soon.  It /usr/bin/play plays system sounds fine, by
> alsa will not mix them if e.g. amarok is playing in the background.  It's
> either one or the other.  Do I need to rebuild kdelibs without arts for it
> to work? This should really be simpler.

i recently went through this after something broke in arts. I turned off the
KDE sound system and in the System Notifications dialog,
specified "playsound" as the external player (found in sdl-sound package).
You can also use "mplayer" but the module is enormous. Everything works
really well now, with no drop-outs during the KDE Start/Stop fan-fares. :)

HTH
-Robin.
Robin Atwood