On Thursday 01 March 2007 18:35:54 Denis wrote:
> I was emerging coreutils to update portage, and it failed with the
following:

> --- SNIP md5 messages ---
>
> /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 1: /bin/expr: No such file or
> directory * Your expr binary appears to be broken, please fix it.
>  * For more info, see http://bugs.gentoo.org/123342
>
> !!! ERROR: sys-apps/coreutils-6.4 failed.
> !!! Function pkg_setup, Line 43, Exitcode 0
> !!! your expr is broke

You really need to tell us more about your system. What did you do preceding
this?

> It appears that I have no previous version of coreutils showing on my
> system...

What is that statement based on? How did you check it? What's the output of
`emerge -pv coreutils`? If you have either gentoolkit or portageutils
installed (or am able to install it) please show the output of either `equery
check coreutils` or `qcheck coreutils`. `emerge --info` would be nice too..

> Anyone know of a way to fix this?

An easy solution might be to emerge busybox if possible.. Otherwise we really
need to know more..

--
Bo Andresen