On Thursday 01 March 2007, Bo Ørsted Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] problem emerging kde-meta':
> On Thursday 01 March 2007 22:54:43 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > Your problem is that you are trying to mix them.  That is difficult or
> > impossible and is AFAIK not supported.
>
> Quoting [1]: "Split and monolithic ebuilds can be mixed freely. The only
> restriction is that a monolithic ebuild can't be installed at the same
> time as a split ebuild deriving from it. There are blocking dependencies
> in the ebuilds that enforce this, so you can do anything emerge allows
> you to do."

Sweet.  I didn't know the Gentoo devs were that cool.  The restriction is
only logical.

> I'm in favour of removing the monolithic
> ebuilds too though. They seem to cause more confusion than they are
> worth. :)

Agreed.  It's always possible for ebuild developers to depend on the -meta
package until they can determine what individual libraries/apps/etc. they
need from it.  Unfortunately, until we get a good confcache-style program,
emerging the -meta ebuild does take a bit longer than emerging the
monolithic version.  (Yes, I konw, this time is saved later on when you
don't have to compile everything again for a later release.)

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))