http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

> > If your serial port driver is built as a module, you can avoid the
> > reboot by rmmodding and modprobing the driver. The second reboot was
> > unnecessary anyway, restarting nut should have picked up the group
> > changes.

> The only module I have is nvidia.  I build everything into my kernel
> that I can.  I was hoping there was a way to sort of "restart" or
> "reload" udev but I couldn't find one and nobody posted one either.  I
> guess there is now two reasons you may have to reboot.

Or another reason to use modules. You could try using udevstart to
repopulate /dev.

--
Neil Bothwick

I have a spelling checker, it came with my Pea See;
It helps me too correct Miss Steaks eye mite knot sea.
I ran these versus threw it, yew mae bee pleased too no
Its word prefect in every weight; my spell cheque tolled me sew!