For converting WMV you can always use Mencoder, provided that you have the
binary codecs. If it is your case only type:

mencoder <name_of_input.wmv> -o <name_of_output.avi> -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=<your_codec_here>:vbitrate=<your_bitrate_here>

That's all!!

2007/3/7, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On 3/7/07, Thierry de Coulon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:28, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    My 14 year old asked if there is a simple app in portage that would
> > allow him to chop an existing video into a couple of pieces? I guess
> > he wants to upload something to You Tube but it's either too long or
> > too large.
> >
> >    I expect it would be good if you could say 'chop this into 2 pieces
> > at 4 minutes in', etc.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > - Mark
>
> Hi,
>
> Probably kino might do - not sure what formats it will take as input.
>
> Thierry

He says mostly AVI and WMV. I'm building Kino now as the web page says
it supports AVI type 1 & 2, whatever that is. At least it's a start
while we look for something that can do WMV or maybe something to
convert WMV.

Thanks,
Mark