On Thursday 08 March 2007 00:34, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 8. März 2007, Philip Webb wrote:

> > I emerged Memtest86 & ran it -- it takes  1 hr  for my  1 GB  memory -- ,
> > but I can't find anything to explain the output.  It found  2  errors :

You need to run it overnight.  After 32 passes or what not you should have
some consistent output.  Before you start memtest86 I suggest that you remove
and reinsert the memory sticks a couple of times (just to make sure you get a
good electrical contact).  If you get the error(s) coming up in every pass my
guess would be that you need new memory.

> The problem: memtest86 and memtest86+ both find sometimes errors that
> aren't ones. Or don't find them, when there are some.

From my experience Memtest86 is not particularly good at digging out problems
which involve faults occurring when the memory switches from one module to
the next (i.e. when the memory controller comes into play) or from memory to
swap.  There's a script that you could run which puts your memory and memory
controller through its paces.  It's been published in this list a couple of
times; have a look and if you cannot find it let me know and I'll have a look
for you.

--
Regards,
Mick