On 2/24/07, Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a stable x86 gentoo system with firefox (bon echo) 2.0.0.1) and
totem 2.16.4.  According to about:plugins totem is to handle mp3 files

I am trying to download an MP3 from "The teaching company" (they have
lectures on various subjects).  The actual button pressed invokes some
javascript.

The result is that totem generates an error msg namely
  Totem could not play 'fd://0'.

I would like to temporarily not have totem handle the mp3s, but I was
unable to see how to do it.

Don't know if you ever figured out an answer for this, but a
(not-recommended/dangerous/manual) way to do this would be to drop to
a command line as root, make a temp dir (mkdir ~/tmp_plugins), and do:

mv /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/libtotem* ~/tmp_plugins/.

And that will disable the totem plugin in Firefox - you don't even
have to restart Firefox. After you're done with what you're doing and
you want to re-enable the totem plugin, do (as root):

mv ~/tmp_plugins/libtotem* /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/.

And Firefox will be ready to go again, also with no restart needed.

HTH-

James

I strongly suspect that unmerging totem (and remerging when done)
would work but was looking for a less drastic method.

Thanks,
allan