Hi!
======= On Wednesday 14 March 2007, you wrote: =======
> When you say "can not open" is there some kind of error message
> associated with it?
>
> I've not had any issues with TIFF files (though admittedly I rarely need
> to open any), but I would guess if it's only "some" files then it may be
> that the program that generated them uses a non-standard/incompatible
> format.  It's hard to say without an actual error message. I've found
> ImageMagick's identify(1) command to be very helpful with determining if
> a file is indeed the format the creator claims it to be.
>
> --
> Albert W. Hopkins

All programs says about bad format. You are right, only some rare TIFF files
can not be opened. I use IrfanView (as it is at least free) under wine to see
such files.

'identify' for last problem file output is (and GIMP says approximately the
same):

identify rodnik.tif
identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 513 (0x201) encountered.
`TIFFReadDirectory'.
identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 514 (0x202) encountered.
`TIFFReadDirectory'.
identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 37679 (0x932f) encountered.
`TIFFReadDirectory'.
identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 37680 (0x9330) encountered.
`TIFFReadDirectory'.
identify: rodnik.tif: unknown field with tag 37681 (0x9331) encountered.
`TIFFReadDirectory'.
identify: Invalid YCbCr subsampling. `rodnik.tif'.
identify: rodnik.tif: cannot handle zero strip size. `TIFFReadDirectory'.

IrfanView shows the file without problems.