On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:12:24 -0400, de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:

> As part of the final stage of a long upgrade from profile 2005.1 to
> 2006.1, I get many messages from revdep-rebuild of broken links to files
> that are not part of any installed package but were in the past. For
> instance:
>
> broken /usr/lib/ImageMagick-6.1.8/modules-Q16/coders/art.la (requires
> /-lstdc++)
>
> As part of World, imagemagick-6.3.0.5-r1 is now installed and the file
> art.la is found at
>
> /usr/lib/ImageMagick-6.3.0/modules-Q16/coders/art.la

If you run fix_libtool_files.sh, it modifies a number of .la files. As a
result, these files are removed when their parent package is unmerged
because their checksums no longer match the package's CONTENTS file. This
isn't an issue if you have upgraded the package and it has overwritten
the .la files with new versions, but when they move to a different
location, or if you remove the package altogether, that are left lying
around.

As you have determined the files no longer belong to a package, it is
quite safe to remove them.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows booting: insert CD-ROM 2.