Hey! How about emerging gcc while NOT being in KDE or even X?

You should also check that there is plenty of space on the partition
where /var resides.

On 28/03/07, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2007-03-28, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2007-03-28, Arnaud FARINE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I try to compile gcc 4.1 on my gentoo 2.16-r9. During compilation my machine
>> is stopped.
>> I doesn't get error message in messages log, emerge log or dmesg...
>>
>> Strange...Could you know this problem ?
>
> It sounds like faulty memory to me.
>
> Run memtest86 for a day or two -- or at least overnight.

I've also seen problems like that caused by a bad sector in a
swap partition and a bad disk controller card/cable. Since it's
a laptop, another possibility is overheating due to faulty
fan-speed control.

IMO, there's a 95% or better chance it's a hardware problem.

RAM is the easiest to test (and the easiest to fix), so start
there.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is a tattoo
                                  at               real, like a curb or a

Fabio A. Correa D.

Physics Dept, Universidad Nacional, Bogota, Colombia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
My webpage and OpenPGP key at http://facorread.150m.com
My alexandria.cc address is not available anymore.