Now, the subject _should_ read:
Mutt and ÅåÄäÖö characters

The problem is that when I begin composing a message in mutt and it asks
for address and subject, the scandinavian characters (among others) are
garbled as I type them in. This is puzzling, because mutt's pager displays
them just fine on received mail, vim works like a charm, and the terminal
has no problem with those characters either. Situation is the same under
pure console and X. I have found no help on the net; this does not seem
to be a common grief. Mutt's input line seems to be the only thing
affected.

I'm running an utf-8 environment, and the muttrc are in utf-8 according
to vim. Output of `locale` is:
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=fi_FI.utf8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER=fi_FI.utf8
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Setting LC_ALL=fi_FI.utf8 won't remove the problem. I have even played
with $send_charset, which is set to "us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8", but
changing it to "iso-8859-1" or "utf-8" made no difference.

I'm really at a loss as to what causes this problem, or how to fix it.
Help would be appreciated.

Regards, Juho