It seems to me that we're ignoring the function of applying colors to
a program's output.  It's not because of the bent appeal of myriads of
colors flying around.  It's because the devs needs to contrast the
important output from the unimportant output.  Now, I could agree that
sometimes the devs get it wrong with regards to which output should be
considered 'important' and therefore colorized.  I could also agree
that users should have the choice between colorized and non-colorized
output.

However, to level the claim that Gentoo users are in love with
colorized output because of some inherent lack of Linux taste or
because of the 'progressive' nature of Gentoo is just silly.  The
original post was condescending and childish.

A good rule to follow before posting to forums or mailing list is the
'24-hour rule.'  The 24-hour rule states that if you are angered or
otherwise emotionally charged, you should wait 24-hours before sending
off your email.  Feel free to write it all out to your heart's
content, as it usually helps focus your frustration and alleviate the
pressure on your brain, but just save it as a draft and move on for
the next 24 hours.

Hope this helps.
--