Hi all :D

I think what "-march=your_arch -O2" it's enough, because -O3 it's highest
but have some details
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS#-O2_or_-O3.3F). My guess is "-march=your_arch
-O2". I was compiled my entire system with those flags and my applications
no matter which have a very good functionality...

I hope give you some help to make your decision...

On 4/9/07, Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

· maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> One suggests using -O3 -pipe, the other, -O2 without
> the pipe.

The resulting binaries of a -O2 -pipe compile will be
the same as those of a -O2 (no pipe) compile.

See
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Overall-Options.html#index-pipe-81

> How much difference does this make? Is the extra level
> of optimization with pipe the equivalent of the lower
> level without?

There's no extra level of optimization.

So the question boils down to: Is -O3 better than -O2? Answer: Depends.
On a system with not that much cache, it might not be.

Alexander Skwar
--
BOFH Excuse #16:

somebody was calculating pi on the server