On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Dude, your kernel is really old.  We're on 2.6.19 or
> > 2.6.20 right now.
> > There were significant updates and bugfixes.  Youve
> > got to update your
> > system.  Why on earth is a new install getting
> > 2.6.12?
>
> So what? The Pentium III is older that the software.
but ... the isn't working properly.  If I were attempting to make your
processor work differently, I would concede the point.  But there's
many more requirements for a kernel than just supporting the processor
and other hardware.  It also has to support software, namely in this
case udev.  Not having proper udev support could certainly cause the
problems we're seeing here, don't you think?
> I don't need all the bells and whistles. Don't need X
> or gnome or even a mouse.
I'm kind of a minimalist too.  _My_ laptop is a Pentium 166.
Nevertheless, I try to keep it up to date.  2.6.12 was a long
time ago -- http://kerneltrap.org/node/5308 dates it at about 20+ months
old, being from late june 2005.
> Also, upgrades are difficult here in the boonies.
> Modem speed is approx 28k.
I feel your pain.  I was on dialup for a long time.   I was actually
running a 2.4 kernel 8 months or so ago, and that was really outdated.
Getting it up to date was a real pain, and I wish I would have saved
myself the hassle and updated it regularly.  That was a learning
experience; )
> I got newer software on the working PC, 2.6.16, So
> it's not exactly bleeding edge but it works fine.

> I could transfer the newer stuff with ssh but that
> doesn't seem to be working either.
Probably a similar problem.  Udev would be responsible for creating
network devices such as eth0 based on
> -mw
I agree that you never really need the latest and greatest.  That's
especially true for hardware when you run gentoo.  But software changes
quickly, unlike hardware, and is constantly improving.  You don't
necessarily get bells and whistles, you get bug fixes and performance
enhancements as well.  Bells and whistles can be left out of the kernel
easily enough.  I guess you could count udev as a bell or whistle, in
which case you could always manage a static /dev by hand.  I don't know
how to do this, or I probably would on my laptop.

Good luck with your /dev problems, and may the solutions be swift and
painless ; )

 -- Dan