Hello,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 09:53:54PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Hello Michal 'vorner' Vaner,
>
> > Now you can mount /var remotely (portage compiles there and needs lots
> > of space) - this way you need only the space for installed programs, not
> > compiling and compile on other machine using distcc.
>
> portage can use any directory you like for its workspace, you don't have
> to remote mount /var to achieve this. You could mount /var/tmp over NFS,
> but setting PORTAGE_TMPDIR is less kludgy.

Well, seems on the same level for me, but that is only personal
preference. But the point with this one is - PORTAGE_TMPDIR (besides,
isn't it PORTAGE_WORKDIR?) is gentoo specific, but you can do the
mounting just anywhere.

Anyway, the point is probably clear…

With regards

--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
                -- Samuel Goldwyn

Michal 'vorner' Vaner