On 4/21/07, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 4/21/07, Mark Shields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 4/21/07, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > My son got a new, fancy Razer gaming keyboard for his birthday today.
> > The keyboard works in grub so I can choose Windows or Linux. It works
> > fine in Windows but once Gentoo is booted it does nothing.

<SNIP>

> Have you installed hotplug?  iirc, it's still required to load up the
likes
> of USB peripherals you state.
>
> # esearch  ^hotplug$
> * sys-apps/hotplug
>      Available versions:  20030805-r2 20030805-r3 20040105 20040401
> ~20040920 20040923 20040923-r1 20040923-r2
>      Homepage:
> http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net
>
> --
> - Mark Shields

Humm....OK - I thought that both hotplug and coldplug were depreciated
by udev. I see that I can emerge hotplug but it tells me to use
coldplug. When I try to emerge coldplug it's blocked by udev.

I emerged hotplug and started it but it still doesn't do anything with
lsusb and the keyboard itself doesn't do anything on the system yet.

Sector9 ~ # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1532:0101
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0604 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 1.1 Hub
Bus 002 Device 014: ID 1532:0102
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Sector9 ~ # /etc/init.d/hotplug start
* Caching service dependencies ...
             [ ok ]
Sector9 ~ # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1532:0101
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0604 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 1.1 Hub
Bus 002 Device 014: ID 1532:0102
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Sector9 ~ #

I really suspect the issue here is that the system - maybe udev? -
doesn't know these devices are keyboard and mouse.

- Mark

It's been a while since I've used anything that required any sort of
hotplugging, so it was just a suggestion.  Looking again now, have you
enabled  CONFIG_USB_HID (USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support)?
The help for that states:

CONFIG_USB_HID:

Say Y here if you want full HID support to connect keyboards,
mice, joysticks, graphic tablets, or any other HID based devices
to your computer via USB. You also need to select HID Input layer
support (below) if you want to use keyboards, mice, joysticks and
the like ... as well as Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) and
monitor control devices.

You can't use this driver and the HIDBP (Boot Protocol) keyboard
and mouse drivers at the same time. More information is available:
<file:Documentation/input/input.txt>.

--
- Mark Shields