I don't have any ideas about these error messages, but... I am working with
a new Dell server (unfortunately not to be a new Gentoo box... yet). I
notice that they ship with a pre-install disk that will help bootstrap
installation, including some flavors of linux.

I believe it just configures the RAID array and some partitions, provides
the driver(s)... It then does some helpful things for the Windows Server
install...

So maybe there's some boot magic for the linux flavors too? IDK.

Good luck,

--
Michael Higgins