On Thu, 17 May 2007 18:03:21 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> > If A depends on B and B depends on A, you build A without support
> > for B, then you can safely install B and A again with the features
> > you wanted.
>
> Great idea. Lots of redundant compiles and manual work just because
> unclean dependencies.

Lots? This new install has over 1000 packages on it, there was exactly
one circular depends, brought about by my changing USE flags too much. It
took around a minute to fix. If you are really that limited for CPU
cycles that this is a problem, I suggest you should not be using a source
based distro.

> Let's see if we get the driver API moved out to its own package,
> so we it'll be some bit clearer (could also make licensing issues
> some bit easier), but that's another story.

Yes, and one for the XOrg list, since Gentoo's policy is to stay as lose
to upstream as is feasible.

> It *P*DEPENDs on them. That's an (strange) kind of special dependency
> which is pulled in *after* install, instead of *before*. But still
> it is an dependency.
>
> So, Xserver dependens on driver(s), drivers depend on Xserver.
> Circular dependency.

no ot doesn't, it PDEPENDS on them, thereby removing any circular
dependency.

> q.e.d.

Quite Erroneous Debate?

> > Jakub is no longer a bug-wrangler, or a dev, he retired last month.
>
> Ah, good things still happen ? ;P

Jakub was very good at his job, but he does have an attitude problem.

Are you trying to emulate him, you are already halfway there?

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.